Thursday, December 8, 2011

Walk In Bathtubs for Seniors

Have you ever wondered how the elderly are doing with their walk in bathtubs? I have. Everytime I see one of those commercials on tv I think about the time it takes to fill the tub and the time it takes to drain the tub. They aren't like regular bathtubs where you can get in after it has already been filled and step out before it empties.

So, you either have to wear a robe or towel and slowly pull up or down with the change in water level. Having to deal with a totally soaked towel or bathrobe wouldn't be easy. I just keep envisioning a lot of cold elderly people. Getting out of the bathtub wet can often be a chilling experience, but to have to sit there until it is emptied? Sounds cold to me. It is a pity because it is such a great idea for safety sake.

So what is the solution? A fan/heater blowing warm air until it fills or empties? Some sort of garment that you could wear that would keep you warm but doesn't absorb the water? Any ideas out there? Sounds like an opportunity to fill a need.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, I never thought about it. I've been considering getting one of these for my parents but their bathroom is often cold. What is a good alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the sit down bath lifts that lower you into your tub and then raise you out (seated) when you are finished? Easy to wrap a towel around your shoulders as you are raised out of the bath tub.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment here: